Author Topic: Norse Bestiary  (Read 8410 times)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
Re: Norse Bestiary
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
Originally posted February 24, 2013:

Here is a Gloaming NPC statted up in the Underdark web enhancement.  I've rearranged his listed stats into the normal stat block order, and I've readjusted his skills (I upped his Kn:Arcana to give the synergy bonus to spellcraft, getting his final modifiers the one higher in each skill; and rolled Kn: Local into Concentration).  Note that I've altered his Spell Focus feats to the 3.0 versions I use (+2 each), and I gave him one 8th level spell (due to a house-rule for my games).  I also altered his (illegal) wand of baleful polymorph into a wand of Polymorph Other (which is what I use in my games).  I also corrected his AC, which was completely wrong.

Old Skills:
Str 6, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 24.
Concentration +5 [4], Disguise +13 [4], Hide +9 [0 ], Knowledge (arcana) +4 [4], Knowledge (local—Underdark) +7 [7], Move Silently +9 [2], Spellcraft +9 [9]
Shadow Mien: +2 to Disguise and Hide.
+4 racial to Move Silently, +4 size to Hide

Gloaming Shadowcaster
(click to show/hide)
Note that he is only 25 point buy, thus his abysmal hit point total of 52 for a 15th level character...

I'll alter him into 36 point buy (all my PC's are the equivalent of 36 point buy or better), an then all also gestalt him with Scout.

36 point buy
(click to show/hide)
I've altered some of his spells.  Those marked with an asterisk should probably be changed out, as he can copy them with shadow spells.  Look at dropping Reduce Person for Nerveskitter (to trigger a Greater Shadow Evoc: Contingency). Maybe drop phantasmal killer for Greater Mirror Image.

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »
Originally posted March 08, 2013:

Here is the base Lussina, corrected. (Edit: I actually just realized she somehow has her 18th level feat as an Epic feat (original version had 1 too many too), but at this point I don't care, and I'm not changing it.  Worst case, lose the 11th level spell slot, and pick up a metamagic feat).

(click to show/hide)

Here is the base Lussina altered to be an Outsider with the Eladrin subtype:
(click to show/hide)

Here is the fully updated and corrected version of Lussina, the Shadow Eladrin and Tatiana the Light Eladrin (based on Lussina's stats).  Her type has been altered to Outsider (Eladrin), with all associated alterations that brings. (Note, subtype benefits might not be present - resistances)

Tatiana, the Light Princess
(click to show/hide)

Lussina, the Shadow Princess
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
Originally posted March 24, 2013:

Mineral Warrior Mountain Giant
Colossal Giant (Earth)
Hit Dice: 30d8+450 (585 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 80 ft., Burrow 40 ft.
AC: 34 (–8 size, +32 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 34
BAB/Grapple: +22/+55
Attacks: Mountain giant club +31/+26/+21/+16 melee, or 2 slams +31 melee, or rock +32 ranged
Damage: Mountain giant club 4d8+25/19–20, slam 2d6+17, rock 4d8+17
Face/Reach: 30 ft./25 ft.
Special Attacks: Crush 2d6+25, fling, grapple, rock throwing, trample 4d6+25, Earth Strike
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., rock catching, scent, summon giants, Damage Reduction 8/adamantine
Saves: Fort +32*, Ref +10, Will +25      *Does not fail on a 1.
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 10, Con 41, Int 4, Wis 8, Cha 5
Skills: Jump +40 [3], Listen +14 [15], Spot +14 [15]
Feats: Awesome Blow, Brutal Throw, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (mountain giant club), Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Steadfast Determination, Track.
Climate/Terrain: Any mountains
Organization: Solitary or family (2 plus 1–3 noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 17 [GCR 16]
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic
Advancement: By character class
LA: -

(click to show/hide)

Primordial Giant Mineral Warrior Mountain Giant
Colossal Giant (Earth)
Hit Dice: 30d8+420 (555 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 80 ft., Burrow 40 ft.
AC: 34 (–8 size, +32 natural), touch 2, flat-footed 34
BAB/Grapple: +22/+53
Attacks: Mountain giant club +29/+24/+19/+14 melee, or 2 slams +29 melee, or rock +30 ranged
Damage: Mountain giant club 4d8+22/19–20, slam 2d6+15, rock 4d8+15
Face/Reach: 30 ft./25 ft.
Special Attacks: Crush 2d6+22, fling, grapple, rock throwing, trample 4d6+22, Earth Strike
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., rock catching, scent, summon giants, Damage Reduction 8/adamantine
Saves: Fort +31*, Ref +10, Will +25      *Does not fail on a 1.
Abilities: Str 41, Dex 10, Con 39, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 9
Skills: Jump +38 [3], Listen +14 [15], Spot +14 [15]
Feats: Awesome Blow, Brutal Throw, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (mountain giant club), Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Steadfast Determination, Track.
Climate/Terrain: Any mountains
Organization: Solitary or family (2 plus 1–3 noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 17 [GCR 16]
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic
LA: -

(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
Originally posted April 02, 2013:

Advanced, Gestalt Arrow Demon Peerless Archer
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:19 PM »
Originally posted May 24, 2013:

Had a completely random revelation that War Trolls are Monstrous Humanoids, and as such are eligible for the Feral template.  Wanting my trolls to be giants, I then apply the mostly redundant Half-Troll template, which changes its type to Giant, whereby I can apply the Primordial Giant template to bump its Intelligence out of the Animal range, and back to that of a typical Hill Troll.  The CR is probably a bit too high, thanks to a +4 CR bump from Feral, but whatever.

He'd probably be a bit better off wielding a one-handed weapon, so that when he charges he can get a claw attack and thus start a grapple (which according to the Rules Compendium is required before any Rake attacks occur, but very few people have ever played it that way, as the Core text is ambiguous).  But all that delicious 1.5x Strength on the greatsword attacks is where the pain comes.  I might have to drop one of these on my players at random.  He'll die quickly due to having low HD relative to the PC's, but it could still be fun.

FERAL PRIMORDIAL GIANT HALF-TROLL WAR TROLL
Large Giant
Hit Dice: 12d10+144 (210 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. in breastplate (8 squares); base speed 50 ft.
Armor Class: 35 (–1 size, +18 natural armor, +5 breastplate, +3 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+29
Attack: Masterwork greatsword +26 melee (3d6+19/19–20) or masterwork composite longbow (+10 Str bonus) +15 ranged (2d6+10/×3)
Full Attack: Masterwork greatsword +26/+21/+16 melee (3d6+19/19–20) and bite +22 melee (1d8+6); or
   2 claws +24 melee (2d6+13) and bite +22 melee (1d8+6); or
   masterwork composite longbow (+10 Str bonus) +15/+10/+5 ranged (2d6+10/×3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Dazing blow, improved grab, pounce, rake +24, rend, spell-like ability
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/adamantine, darkvision 120 ft., fast healing 5, low-light vision, regeneration 9, scent, spell resistance 20
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +11, Will +20
Abilities: Str 37, Dex 16, Con 35, Int 6, Wis 17, Cha 12
Skills: Jump +13 (+21 unarmored), Kn (Nature) -1, Listen +10, Spot +10
Feats: Endurance, Improved Initiative, Steadfast Determination, Multiattack, Weapon Focus (greatsword)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3–9)
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: Standard (including masterwork greatsword and masterwork composite longbow [+10 Str bonus])
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Level Adjustment: +6

A typical war trolls is 9 feet tall and weighs about 700 pounds.
 War trolls speak Giant.
COMBAT
Unlike their troll kindred, war trolls are precise and methodical in combat. They trust their regenerative abilities to see
them through a fight against even powerful warriors, so they focus their attention on spellcasters early in any skirmish.
    Dazing Blow (Ex): The force of a war troll’s blow can be overwhelming. If a war troll hits with a weapon or claw
attack, the opponent must make a DC 28 Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
   Improved Grab (Ex): If a feral creature hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with
a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of
opportunity.  If it gets a hold, it can rake.  Alternatively, it has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use
its claw to hold the opponent (-20 penalty on grapple check, but the feral creature is not considered grappled).  In
either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals claw damage. 
See the Monster Manual for additional rules.
   Pounce (Ex): If a feral creature charges a foe, it can make a full attack even though it has already moved.
   Rake (Ex): A feral creature that gets a hold can make two rake attacks (+24) at its full melee attack bonus with its hind
legs.  Each successful attack does normal claw damage for the size of the feral creature, plus 1/2 its Strength bonus
(2d6+6).  If the feral creature pounces on an opponent, it can also rake.
    Regeneration (Ex): Unlike with their lesser cousins, acid (not fire) deals normal damage to a war troll. If a war
troll loses a limb or a body part, the lost portion regrows in 2d4 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member
instantly by holding it to the stump.
   Rend (Ex): A feral creature that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent's body and tears the flesh. 
This automatically deals double the appropriate claw damage for that size feral creature, plus double the Strength
modifier (4d6+24)
   Spell-Like Ability (Sp): At will - one of either invisibility, invisibility purge, or levitate; CL 13th.
   Skills: Gains any one Knowledge skill as a class skill.  +2 racial bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:41 PM »
Originally posted May 24, 2013:

Quote from: Craiconn
Holy smoke.  What an inspiring repository of Norse Monstrosity Goodness!  I feel like I just hit the jackpot.  I'm gonna nab a lot of this stuff for my Norse-flavored campaign in the Forgotten Realms, KSBS.  I hope that's okay.  You did some genius work here!   :clap
No problem; that's part of why I put it here.  There's some Celtic influence too (using Eladrin as Seelie Court, etc), but most of it is Scandinavian in flavor.

- KSB

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
Originally posted June 02, 2013:

At one point long ago, I actually statted out various HD amounts for the Dusk Giant.  Idiotically, I did it on the free monster initiative cards from www.thegamemechanics.com (which ARE a great tool), which I couldn't save at the time.  I'm sure I have the print-outs around somewhere, but I've moved since then, and want something I can more easily fiddle with anyway.  So, I'll be slowly working on adding their stats here over the next while.

I'll also be giving them better feats.  Drop Iron Will and one other to get Endurance and Steadfast Determination for a massive increase on Will saves (at least 3 greater than Iron Will for everything 12 HD and above).  Brutal Throw from Complete Adventurer is also a great feat, turning the low-Dex attack roll into a high-Strength attack roll for his thrown rocks.

I'll also be including non-power attack lines for his attack routines.  The base stats out of the book have him full power attacking every time, which would make his chances of hitting pretty low against a 14th level party (for the Greater one).

Lastly, I'll be correcting the few minor mistakes (the Greater Dusk Giant lacks his -1 Dex penalty to AC, doesn't qualify for Awesome Blow, and miscalculates his rend damage by 1).

Least Dusk Giants

Least Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Advanced (8 HD) Least Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Advanced (10 HD) Least Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »

Lesser Dusk Giants

Interestingly, the Cannibalize ability says that it gets the Str boost every HD, and the Con and Nat armor boosts every second HD, in addition to all the normal benefits of gaining HD.  It then says it gains a slight boost to Charisma as it becomes stronger of will and purpose.  One of the normal benefits of gaining HD is getting a stat boost at every level divisible by four.  This means the 6 HD base dusk giant should get a Charisma boost at 8th HD and 12th HD, yet the 12 HD Lesser Dusk Giant has only increased any of his stats by one (Charisma from 15 to 16), aside from the normal sizing bonuses and the special bonuses to Str and Con.  Then, the 18 HD Greater Dusk Giant, who has only had an opportunity for one stat boost since the base 12 HD Lesser, has his Charisma boosted by two to 18.

It seems to me like the charisma bonuses are supposed to just be from his 8th, 12th, and 16th HD, but someone dropped the ball and didn't give him the 12th level one at 12th level, but made up for it in the next stat block.  I will 'correct' this mistake, and make the base Lesser Dusk Giant have a charisma of 17.  It doesn't change any of his modifiers, and makes the HD advancement make sense with the normal rules.

Lesser Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Advanced (14 HD) Lesser Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Advanced (16 HD) Lesser Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »

Greater Dusk Giants

Greater Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Advanced (20 HD) Greater Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

Primordial Giant Greater Dusk Giant
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 11:55:55 PM »
Originally posted June 13, 2013:

Beast of Xvim Troll (26 HD)
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
Originally posted June 14, 2013:

Gloura (32 point buy)
(click to show/hide)

I will be advancing this gal and adding templates, but I wanted to up her to a higher point-buy first.

Gloura (32-point buy) Bard 3
(click to show/hide)
I will advance her yet again, adding at least two levels of Sublime Chord.  This will give her one more feat, with which to pick up Combat Reflexes.

Gloura Bard 3/Sublime Chord 2
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
Originally posted June 18, 2013:

Advanced (40 HD) Elder Air Elemental
(click to show/hide)

I got rid of Alertness in favor of Great Flyby Attack, and I left two feat slots open, which I will fill with Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability when I add the Orglosh Template.  The Final Strike is perhaps a little overly ridiculous for the CR (average of 140 damage, of types the PC's aren't likely to be resistant to).  For the Orglosh, which has the Cold subtype as well, I might change it to the cold version (20d6 cold and 20d6 piercing) because the PC's are more likely to survive it, but piercing damage doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an air elemental...

Advanced (40 HD) Orglash (Elder Air Elemental)
(click to show/hide)

Thomil Earth Element Creature Disenchanter
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:47 AM »
Originally posted June 19, 2013:

Beast of Xvim Quasit
(click to show/hide)

Advanced Beast of Xvim Quasit
(click to show/hide)

Advanced Half-Fey Beast of Xvim Quasit (Faesit)
(click to show/hide)

Shadow Creature Half-Fey Advanced Beast of Xvim Quasit (Shadow Faesit)
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2017, 12:06:12 AM »
Originally posted June 20, 2013:

Shadar-Kai Duelist
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »
Originally posted June 21, 2013:

Advanced Ghirrash (21 HD)
(click to show/hide)

Advanced Half-Troll Ghirrash
(click to show/hide)

Ghirrash and Half-Troll Ghirrash
(click to show/hide)

Half-Troll Ghirrash//Beguiler 7
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2017, 12:13:40 AM »
Originally posted June 29, 2013:

Satyr (32 point buy)
(click to show/hide)

Satyr Sorcerer 5
(click to show/hide)

Satyr Sorcerer 5/Shadowcrafter 7
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 12:18:42 AM »
Originally posted July 01, 2013:

Working on making some Huldr Folk.

Advanced Nymph (Druid 4)
(click to show/hide)

Nymph Druid 4 (34 point buy)
(click to show/hide)

Gestalt Nymph Druid//Beguiler/Bard (34 point buy)
(click to show/hide)

I had intended it to be 32 point buy, but botched raising her intelligence to 20 instead of 18.  I don't feel like retroactively stripping out the skill points, so too damn bad.

Nymph Druid 5//Beguiler 9/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1
(click to show/hide)
Still need to pick her first Advanced Learning spell, and pick one more 3rd level Druid spell.  Also her 9th level feat.

Also need to stat up a Greenbound Giant Constrictor Snake for her to summon.

Advanced Nymph with Items
(click to show/hide)

Greenbound Giant Constrictor Snake
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:17 AM »
Originally posted July 07, 2013:

Telflammar Shadowlord Shadow Creature Verdant Prince
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »
Originally posted July 21, 2013:

Half-Troll Maelephant
(click to show/hide)

ksbsnowowl

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:37 AM »
Place-holder in case missing info is recovered.