Author Topic: Quick psionics question  (Read 1547 times)

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Quick psionics question
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »
We should probably have an Ask A Question forum, but anyway. If you're a multiclass psionic character, you explicitly have a common pool of power points. However, on the subject of learning powers from classes with separate lists, the SRD has this to say:

Quote from: SRD
While you maintain a single reserve of power points from your class, race, and feat selections, you are still limited by the manifester level you have achieved with each power you know.

Let's say I'm, for example, a Wilder 2/Egoist 1 with an 18 Cha and 14 Int. My powers known are Astral Traveler (wilder), Attraction (wilder), Bolt (psion), Psionic Daze (psion), and Thicken Skin (psion). I'm limited to ML 1 with the 3 powers I learned as a psion, correct? Can I manifest Psionic Daze as a wilder (still at ML 1) to use my Cha bonus for the DC, or am I stuck with the Int bonus since I learned it as a Psion? (I'm guessing the latter, but I wanted more opinions.)

RedWarlock

• View Profile
Re: Quick psionics question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:19:05 AM »
Pretty sure that's a no. The PP pool is the only crossover function. To use Cha as your DC stat, you'd have to learn the power a second time as a Wilder. (I'm not seeing anything in the text akin to the Idiot Crusader that says that you can only learn a power once even from multiple lists.)

Arz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:19:51 PM »
If you had time, you might be able to contact yourself:

Quote from: SRD
Manifest an Unknown Power from Another’s Powers Known
A psionic character can attempt to manifest a power from a source other than his own knowledge (usually a power stone or another willing psionic character). To do so, the character must first make contact (a process similar to addressing a power stone, requiring a Psicraft check against a DC of 15 + the highest level power in the power stone or repertoire). A psionic character can make contact with only a willing psionic character or creature (unconscious creatures are considered willing, but not psionic characters under the effects of other immobilizing conditions). Characters who can’t use power stones for any reason are also banned from attempting to manifest powers from the knowledge of other psionic characters. Mental contact requires 1 full round of physical contact, which can provoke attacks of opportunity. Once contact is achieved, the character becomes aware of all the powers stored in the power stone or all the powers the other character knows up to the highest level of power the contactor knows himself.

Next, the psionic character must choose one of the powers and make a second Psicraft check (DC 15 + the power’s level) to see if he understands it. If the power is not on his class list, he automatically fails this check.

Upon successfully making contact with another willing psionic character or creature and learning what he can of one power in particular, the character can immediately attempt to manifest that power even if he doesn’t know it (and assuming he has power points left for the day). He can attempt to manifest the power normally on his next turn, and he succeeds if he makes one additional Psicraft check (DC 15 + the power’s level). He retains the ability to manifest the selected power for only 1 round. If he doesn’t manifest the power, fails the Psicraft check, or manifests a different power, he loses his chance to manifest that power for the day.

awaken_D_M_golem

• I told you there was/is two of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:49 PM »
Reminds me of CaptnQ's last Ask thread.
Multiple Head Casting for Synads = maybe, Dvati = yes.
Multivoice iirc is about the same, but way back can't find.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• 75%fortified v forum death as a fairness elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
ML is absolutely separate. That's the main reason not to multiclass psionics. See above for the class lists.
Sigh. Not again. :(