Author Topic: New forum layout  (Read 4961 times)

Agita

New forum layout
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
Hey, everyone! It's that guy again.

As you may or may not have already noticed, we've just expanded the skeleton of the boards we had so far to be more or less complete. We've tried to consolidate and expand or generalize the old structure a little, based on discussion between me, Prime32, and Stratovarius (say hi to our new cyberlich overlord). Here's the upshot:

The Meta section is for talk outside the forum's primary purpose.
-Board Discussion is, naturally, for discussion, questions, concerns, criticism, etcetera about the boards themselves. Make suggestions, ask about issues, complain to or about moderators.
-Off Topic is for anything that doesn't have to do with gaming.

The Gaming section is about games in all their forms.
-The two D&D sections are meant to contain all D&D talk regarding their respective editions, including both CO discussion and non. 3rd and 5th are specifically separated because these were the two largest sources of discussion on the old boards. Should other games or editions prove popular enough, we can split off their own boards as well, or merge them back into Other RPGs if they die off.
-Other RPGs is for any and all other role-playing games. This includes other editions of D&D like AD&D or 4e, as well as edition-agnostic talk, for now.
-Tabletop is for other tabletop games that aren't RPGs, such as board games, trading card games, wargames, traditional games, and so on.
-Videogames is for just that, videogames. While different types of games work differently, they're all ultimately games, and certain principles of game design and storytelling are universal, so we agreed we wanted all types of games in the Gaming section.
-Game Design is for talk about game design specifically, basically a more general rename of what was the Mechanical Writing board on mmx. Dissect games of any stripe, talk about what makes them tick and what lessons can be learned, talk about designing your own games, and so on.
-News, Podcasts, and Reviews is for posting and discussing gaming-related blogs or blog posts, news, articles, podcasts, reviews... although the board name sounds exclusive, it's not meant to be a complete list of what goes here.

What was formerly the handbooks boards has been merged, renamed, and split off into a separate Handbooks & Resources section. The idea here is that in addition to the old D&D 3.5 CO handbooks, you can post any sort of resource for any system, such as compilations of dev commentary or online content, GM advice articles, cheatsheets, and more. The old handbooks section already sort of got used like that, so we're broadening and making it official.
The other thing we're trying here is the Submissions board. You'll note starting new threads has been disabled on the main Resources board. The idea is that new or incomplete threads get posted in Submissions where they can be discussed and improved, and then moved to the main board on request when complete. You'll still be able to reply to threads in the Resources board, only making new topics is locked.

The Homebrew section is, similarly, a dedicated section for homebrew. We've removed the subsections, since many of the big projects tended to straddle several of them, and will continue to provide separate boards to large projects or collections.

The Play by Post section is the same old. We've put the Campaign Journals forum, where you can post recountings of your own games, under here for now. Prime32 has been looking at several possible mods to enhance the PbP section, but for now we're focused on getting all our ducks in a row first.

We're still under construction, so this layout most likely won't be final, but this is where things stand now and our thought process on it. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions!

Oh, and just to clarify: This doesn't constitute confirmation that the previous MinMax boards are gone for good. We're still seeing if we can salvage the old data off bluehost's servers. Whether we manage to or not, we'd like to take the opportunity to give the boards a bit of an update.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Re: New forum layout
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
Resource & Handbook Submission should be renamed Resource & Handbook Discussion.

I'd suggest that Other RPGs have /edition agnostic or /game agnostic tacked onto it so that people know where to find that kind of stuff (if that's where that kind of stuff is going to stay).

Offtopic shouldn't be one word.

News, Podcasts, and Reviews could be News, Podcasts, Reviews, etc if you're concerned about the name sounding too exclusive.

That's all the feedback I can think of for now.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:14:48 PM »
Resource & Handbook Submission should be renamed Resource & Handbook Discussion.

What was formerly the handbooks boards has been merged, renamed, and split off into a separate Handbooks & Resources section. The idea here is that in addition to the old D&D 3.5 CO handbooks, you can post any sort of resource for any system, such as compilations of dev commentary or online content, GM advice articles, cheatsheets, and more. The old handbooks section already sort of got used like that, so we're broadening and making it official.

The other thing we're trying here is the Submissions board. You'll note starting new threads has been disabled on the main Resources board. The idea is that new or incomplete threads get posted in Submissions where they can be discussed and improved, and then moved to the main board on request when complete. You'll still be able to reply to threads in the Resources board, only making new topics is locked.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »

The submissions board is full of the discussion threads.  Fix that then.

SorO_Lost

• I'll still kill you before you're born
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
Why?

If a "Handbook" needs discussion and it's in the submission thread, just reply to it. The finalized version can simply be reposted instead of being a moved thread which will issue a new url for the completed guide and the previous post can continue to exist as the discussion thread.
I'm working on the rest, it'll be up soon.

Where is Bunkos?
In the One Stop Shop along with Class Boosters (including epics & teamwork) & ACFs.

Agita

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »

Those threads also have to go somewhere. I was never a huge fan of splitting up the handbooks and their discussion, so we might end up trying to merge them with their respective threads, but for the time being we're leaving them alone and figuring out the fundamentals before the details.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »

Those threads also have to go somewhere. I was never a huge fan of splitting up the handbooks and their discussion, so we might end up trying to merge them with their respective threads, but for the time being we're leaving them alone and figuring out the fundamentals before the details.

I actually have the opposite opinion on handbooks and discussion threads, there are too many handbooks that have actual handbook content after random discussion posts because it can be impossible to determine how many posts to reserve.  It makes things look horrible.

For example, one of my guides is X Stat to Y Bonus.  I'm reserving two posts, 3.5 and Pathfinder.  If two months down the road someone wants a 5E post, I would want that to be post number three in the guide.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:04:11 AM by Nanshork »

Agita

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
I actually have the opposite opinion on handbooks and discussion threads, there are too many handbooks that have actual handbook content after random discussion posts because it can be impossible to determine how many posts to reserve.  It makes things look horrible.

For example, one of my guides is X Stat to Y Bonus.  I'm reserving two posts, 3.5 and Pathfinder.  If two months down the road someone wants a 5E post, I would want that to be post number three in the guide.
That's something we'd also like to remedy, yes. We might be able to let certain posts in threads be stickied within that thread so that they would always show up on top, but that would be a custom mod, so no promises. If we can, that would be a far more elegant solution that keeping the threads split, in my opinion. If not, we might begrudgingly keep the split or try to figure out something else.

SorO_Lost

• I'll still kill you before you're born
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
Yeah you have to plan your guide's posts like a Wizard plans his Spells.

But there are way to get around that, like having a single discussion thread for all your guides rather than a thread for each.
I'm working on the rest, it'll be up soon.

Where is Bunkos?
In the One Stop Shop along with Class Boosters (including epics & teamwork) & ACFs.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »

That's something we'd also like to remedy, yes. We might be able to let certain posts in threads be stickied within that thread so that they would always show up on top, but that would be a custom mod, so no promises. If we can, that would be a far more elegant solution that keeping the threads split, in my opinion. If not, we might begrudgingly keep the split or try to figure out something else.

Stickying posts would work.  So would a way to change post numbers but that would also probably be a custom solution. 

I get that my use cases are probably off in the weeds (I have weird use cases for every project I get involved with), and I won't grumble too much if things move in a direction I'm not happy with.

ketaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »
No place for new people to introduce themselves?  ;D

Libertad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 03:37:49 AM »

Hi ketaro! Long time no see!

Agita

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
Do we need one? Last time around it was mostly a lot of single-post threads and half of its purpose was really as part of the anti-spam verification process. We might still end up needing that, but we'll see.

ketaro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 07:31:45 AM »
But every forum has a little corner for people to introduce themselves! It's tradition! D:
Plus for most newcomers it'd be their single instance of being treated nicely before getting torn a new one from all the grumpy, stubborn old poops around here in the rules debates  ;D

Hi ketaro! Long time no see!

Howdy doody Libertoody~

See? We're clogging up your thread with casual pleasantries!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:33:25 AM by ketaro »

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
I would suggest using the off-topic forum for such until any further decision is made.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
Question: I am going to make a thread to store all of my character sheet templates for play by post games (See my old Expanded Signature thread here).  I know that at least one other user will also be putting character sheet templates in there, and I'll make and index for people to find what they need.

Can I put it in the PbP board and get it stickied since it is meant to be a resource specifically for play by post games?

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »
Yes

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »

awaken_D_M_golem

• I told you there was/is two of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 06:01:52 PM »

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• 75%fortified v forum death as a fairness elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »
Since I've been gone for a week:

Current layout:
(click to show/hide)

My suggestions:
(click to show/hide)

Soro's Suggestions:
(click to show/hide)

Changes:
1) Fluff to Crunch (Let's Stat Up...)            For "how you build aquaman" threads. I'll even maintain an index. :)
2) Conjoin "Table top" & "Other RPG"?         Seeing Apples to Apples thread next to a GURPS thread seems fine.
3) Add Introductions?                  Optional
4) Add mature rants?                  Potentially a bad idea
5) Eventually retired PbB's will need separated.   Not necessary yet.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:27:12 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
Sigh. Not again. :(