Author Topic: Total Warhammer  (Read 2534 times)

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Total Warhammer
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:39:53 AM »
So, with the new TWW2 announced for September, I wanted to check in and see if there was anyone else around here who's addicted to the first game? At this point I've managed to beat the game with every option except for Clan Angrund, Beasts and WElves (Don't own those two). I definitely find Orks the easiest race to start as, especially since confederation options are so easy.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Re: Total Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »
I beat it a couple of times and then kind of just got bored with it.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »

What turned you off of it?

ketaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:15:24 PM »
I like playing dorfs. Money grubbing murder midgets. I just don't like dem orcs. I also like playing as Chaos; it's like playing orcs but civilized barbarity.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »

What turned you off of it?

It's slow, and directing guys in battle isn't exciting but neither is just auto-fighting.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
I like playing dorfs. Money grubbing murder midgets. I just don't like dem orcs. I also like playing as Chaos; it's like playing orcs but civilized barbarity.

Hah, I'm the other way around. Give me the greenies all day and I'll run wild. They get absurdly high income and very strong forces, so it's pretty easy to force Archaeon to pop out by about turn 40 or so.

It's slow, and directing guys in battle isn't exciting but neither is just auto-fighting.

Ah. See, that's where I think it's the most fun, trying to get all the craziness under control. The pause button is your friend big time.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »

Ah. See, that's where I think it's the most fun, trying to get all the craziness under control. The pause button is your friend big time.

Granted so far I've only beaten it with the dwarves and one of the human factions, but all the battles either felt easy or super hard, I never got the feeling that there was a middle ground.

oslecamo

• Creating monsters for my world of darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I would recommend checking out the multiplayer then. The campaign has the problem that armies will rarely be evenly matched, but in MP both sides get about the same amount of resources for building their troops. There's also the scenario battles.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
I would recommend checking out the multiplayer then. The campaign has the problem that armies will rarely be evenly matched, but in MP both sides get about the same amount of resources for building their troops. There's also the scenario battles.

Off topic: the campaign annoyed me when I realized that I could never "win" because the beastmen would eventually pop back up so it just never ended.  I wanted total control!

I'll check out the scenario battles sometime, that might get me back into it.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »

The campaign is definitely about getting a doomstack (or 5) and going to town. If by the end of the campaign you aren't rolling through everything, you're either on Legendary or you've made a mistake. Greenskins, especially, are like this. You end up with 10+ armies, all of them carefully moving around in encamp stance so that you don't lose your WAAAGHs. On the other hand, the greenskin early game is a massive party of slaughter and conquest.

If you want factions that play very differently from the two you've tried already, the Undead, WElves, and Beasts are all much more unique. Beasts, especially, since they are about ambushing, picking fights, running away, and combat management.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
I can't do beasts, I haven't bought most of the DLC because I wasn't into the game enough to justify it.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
The best (cheap) DLC to get is King and the Warlord - it gives two new subfactions, both of which play fairly differently from their parents. Skarsnik especially is a favourite of a lot of people, me included. There's something hilarious about trying to take on chaos with goblins.