Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (or Red Hand of Doom)  (Read 22162 times)

Garryl

• View Profile
OK I posted Cycle Warden, Imagineer, and Warcrafter over in Codex of Conflict. Strato, I'm curious about your thoughts on the Imagineer, since it's so completely bizarre.

That just leaves Ley Engineer and Green Man, but I think I'm going to skip Green Man if FitS is playing a Naturalist. Too much thematic overlap.

Ley Engineer will be posted in Inspiratum very shortly.

Sirp, are there any of your classes you would like me to prioritize looking at?

OK I posted Cycle Warden, Imagineer, and Warcrafter over in Codex of Conflict. Strato, I'm curious about your thoughts on the Imagineer, since it's so completely bizarre.

I'll let Garryl tackle it first, since he's already dived into the material.

So, in terms of group composition, we have FitS with a Naturalist, aka Warlock Druid, SirP with a blank, DMan with a blank, and me with a Commander, Chameleon (both jack of all trades classes) or a WitW, which is a Druid wannabe.

This is going to be a very odd party composition.

Odd? Nah. You've got your standard fighter/cleric/mage/thief setup. Just because you're playing all four of them on alternating days doesn't mean... oh, wait, yeah. This shit be crazy, mon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:17:28 AM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium
1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime

dman

• View Profile
I'm not sure if it fits tier 3 or our them, but I've always wanted to try oslecamo's stuff. The angel class looks fun.

Garryl

• View Profile
I'd rather avoid Oslecamo's material, if that's alright. His desired balance point is very different from mine, and what material I have looked at has been highly inconsistent in both power and quality.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
I'll toss my hat in (although I'm busy with moving for the next couple of days).

I'll just play your homebrew, nothing to worry about there!

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll just play your homebrew, nothing to worry about there!

I'm hurt! :P

(not really, of course. Garryl makes good material).

Garryl

• View Profile
Welcome, Nans. Is there anything in particular you want? I haven't posted everything yet, so if what you're looking for isn't up yet I can prioritize it.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
So Garryl, having looked at everything (other than Green Man) that I originally posted, is it only the Ethos stuff which is basically ready to go out of the gate? (The proposed changes to Scaleshaper are miniscule.)  It seems like you'd want a major rework of Cycle Warden, medium-to-major editing of Imagineer, and medium reworks of ley engineer.

Oh, you haven't commented on Warcrafter. SOOOO does that basically sum everything up? I'm ok with restricting to Scaleshaper or Warcrafter (depending on your thoughts there).

Garryl

• View Profile
So Garryl, having looked at everything (other than Green Man) that I originally posted, is it only the Ethos stuff which is basically ready to go out of the gate? (The proposed changes to Scaleshaper are miniscule.)  It seems like you'd want a major rework of Cycle Warden, medium-to-major editing of Imagineer, and medium reworks of ley engineer.

Oh, you haven't commented on Warcrafter. SOOOO does that basically sum everything up? I'm ok with restricting to Scaleshaper or Warcrafter (depending on your thoughts there).

That sounds about right.

I'm tentatively inclined to allow the Warcrafter, but I'm not so sure about its disciplines. It's a bit of a pickle.
- There are a great many warnings about the power level of the Artificer class, and the Warcrafter has the same supercrafting power. I'm kind of curious how it actually plays out, in practice, and I don't expect you to try to break the game, so I'd be inclined to approve the class in that regard.
- The maneuvers I'm not as sure about. Several of them have effects based on properties of an item that are not directly connected to the item's value, which itself would still only be indirectly connected to your character level. For example, using Acquire Enchantment on the CL 20th, 50 gp Universal Solvent for +6d4 damage from a boost at level 1. Impromptu Virge maneuvers look like they're based entirely around claiming to have exorbitant costs, then negating those costs with stances. I'll do a more in depth analysis of things over in the Warcrafter discussion thread.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
Welcome, Nans. Is there anything in particular you want? I haven't posted everything yet, so if what you're looking for isn't up yet I can prioritize it.

I don't even know, I just know that I like your stuff and have reviewed a good bit of it.

I'd probably just wait for everyone else to figure themselves out and then pick something.  PoC and Book of Dead Warriors are probably what I would choose out of.

Garryl

• View Profile
You may also wish to look at the new(-ish) construct focused ToB material I've been working on. I know I had a lot of it up on the old boards, but I finally took the time to get some of it finished.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
You may also wish to look at the new(-ish) construct focused ToB material I've been working on. I know I had a lot of it up on the old boards, but I finally took the time to get some of it finished.

I remember you having that only somewhat fleshed out last time I looked at it.  I'll take another look.

sirpercival

• View Profile
Alrighty then, I have one more to ask you to look over: Soul Refractor (the Incarnum Astronomer variant). I'd forgotten about it til I ported it, and it's pretty cool. Otherwise, I'm rolling with Scaleshaper.

Garryl

• View Profile
Soul Refractor might have some minor balance issues with the original Astronomer, and a couple of soulmelds need small tweaks, but it generally looks good.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

sirpercival

• View Profile
OK! Then I have two possibilities: Soul Refractor, or Scaleshaper.

So, fellow party members, which do we have more need of: a variant caster w/ some incarnum gishiness, or a shapeshifting pokemon trainer?

dman

• View Profile
I'm having trouble deciding... All of your classes are cool. I've always wanted to try a marshal (which is very nicely written btw). I really like all of your support classes, but I'm afraid I'll miss out on the flashiness of acute in-combat power spikes that traditional casters or ToB classes provide.  I love all the choices. Maybe you guys can help me break out of the paralysis of analysis.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Cha focused marshal that boosts everyone's to hit and skill checks or everyone's saves, but I don't want to give up usefulness in combat w/ 3/4 BAB progression.

sirpercival

• View Profile
Marshal + pokemon trainer = awesomeness. So if you play a Marshal, maybe I'll just go for Scaleshaper and we can rock some face.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm having trouble deciding... All of your classes are cool. I've always wanted to try a marshal (which is very nicely written btw). I really like all of your support classes, but I'm afraid I'll miss out on the flashiness of acute in-combat power spikes that traditional casters or ToB classes provide.  I love all the choices. Maybe you guys can help me break out of the paralysis of analysis.

Right now I'm leaning toward a Cha focused marshal that boosts everyone's to hit and skill checks or everyone's saves, but I don't want to give up usefulness in combat w/ 3/4 BAB progression.

You might find the Commander a little more to taste if you're looking for combat prowess - Garryl and I were discussing it earlier in the thread, but it's a Marshal-type class that comes with cohorts that boost its in-combat strength. I can grab another one of my classes to play instead of that if you want to fill the Marshal role.

Garryl

• View Profile

You could also try the paladin if you want more combat prowess (and divine spellcasting) in exchange for a bit of the pure aura goodness.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

dman

• View Profile
Thanks fellas,

Marshal + Team = Win

Strat, my eyes rolled back into my head when I first looked at Commander. I'll give it another look.

The paladin is also very cool with it's full BAB, supremely useful smitiness, and delayed auras.  My head is also stuck in pathfinder mode.  Any recommendations for D&D races?

sirpercival

• View Profile
So, folks, does that mean we need me to play a Scaleshaper? Or is incarnum + gimmicky casting still going to be useful?