Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (or Red Hand of Doom)  (Read 22001 times)

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
So, folks, does that mean we need me to play a Scaleshaper? Or is incarnum + gimmicky casting still going to be useful?

It looks like we might be wandering in the direction of a fair bit of melee/aura versatility, not so much in the way of spellcasting, etc. Nan hasn't decided yet though.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Nan is waiting for everyone else to decide.  It's my default position on character creation unless I already have an amazing idea.

Garryl

• View Profile
So, to sum up, is this what everyone is considering so far?

Stratovarius
Sirpercival
FireInTheSky
dman
Nanshork
  • Power of Cybernetics
  • Tomb of Battle
  • Waiting to see. Might play something else entirely based on what the rest of the group is playing.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium
1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
So, folks, does that mean we need me to play a Scaleshaper? Or is incarnum + gimmicky casting still going to be useful?

It looks like we might be wandering in the direction of a fair bit of melee/aura versatility, not so much in the way of spellcasting, etc. Nan hasn't decided yet though.
Oh! OK, I thought that the Aura thing was intended to synergize with Scaleshaper's Dragonmons. If not, then I'll rock some Soul Refractor awesomeness!

Nanshork

• View Profile
It looks like we've got melee, buffing, and weird spell stuff going on.

Anything besides healing and maybe ranged that we're missing out of the major roles?

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Skills/thief role of any kind.

sirpercival

• View Profile
Well luckily Incarnum is pretty good at handling that.  As is Scaleshaper, as it turns out...

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Well luckily Incarnum is pretty good at handling that.  As is Scaleshaper, as it turns out...

That's good :)

Think I'm going to finalize on Commander, unless anyone really wants me to look at something else.

dman

• View Profile
I went ahead and made a preliminary Marshal subject to your approval. 
There are two maybe controversial things:
1. Race - Lesser Aasimar - so I can preserve a semi-angel char concept
2. I took one flaw b/c I super wanted  to work in all of the minor auras that boost ability checks to inspire us all to be the best skill monkeys we can be.

You see...It's all part of my character concept...I promise.  8)
We're on Min/Max Forum...I can't help it.  ;D

Is there a good way for me to share a mythweavers sheet with you, Garryl?

Team, Is there a particular Major Aura you'd like? 
I was thinking Inspire Awe save or fascinated(precombat) or panicked( <1HD) or shaken(everyone else) to enemies and Motivate Attack +1 to attack rolls.  They're all good. Wrathful healing gives 2hp on hit for example if we don't have a healer.

dman

• View Profile
What's our starting money?

Garryl

• View Profile
I went ahead and made a preliminary Marshal subject to your approval. 
There are two maybe controversial things:
1. Race - Lesser Aasimar - so I can preserve a semi-angel char concept
2. I took one flaw b/c I super wanted  to work in all of the minor auras that boost ability checks to inspire us all to be the best skill monkeys we can be.

You see...It's all part of my character concept...I promise.  8)
We're on Min/Max Forum...I can't help it.  ;D

Is there a good way for me to share a mythweavers sheet with you, Garryl?

Team, Is there a particular Major Aura you'd like? 
I was thinking Inspire Awe save or fascinated(precombat) or panicked( <1HD) or shaken(everyone else) to enemies and Motivate Attack +1 to attack rolls.  They're all good. Wrathful healing gives 2hp on hit for example if we don't have a healer.

That sounds like a reasonable use of a flaw. Unless anyone can find a reason to cry foul, I'm inclined to allow it.

I don't have the book that lesser planetouched are from. Player's Guide to Faerun, right? Would you mind confirming whether these stats are accurate for lesser aasimar?

As for sharing the mythweavers sheet, just post a link here, or PM it to me if you want to keep it private.

What's our starting money?

Average for whatever your class says at 1st level. I didn't write it out for a lot of my base classes, but at least for the ones that are revisions it's the same as the original printing they're based on (5d4×10 (125 gp) for the Marshal).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:34:35 PM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

dman

• View Profile
In PGtF the "lesser" aasimar has all the traits of an aasimar except instead of outsider type it is "Planetouched"

"Planetouched: Planetouched are humanoids (not outsiders) with
the planetouched subtype. They are susceptible to spells and effects
that specifically target both humanoids or outsiders. Charm
person works against them, and so does banishment. This trait
replaces the outsider entry in each planetouched."  p.191

So it's kind of a great deal from a min/max perspective.

First Draft  https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1254990

Garryl

• View Profile
Your stats are a little high. After the +2 racial Wis and Cha, I calculate you're at 39 PB. I think you used a Pathfinder point buy calculator instead of 3rd edition.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
So we have a Marshal, an Astronomer, a Commander, a Naturalist, and whatever I pick correct?

dman

• View Profile
Oops...  :o Fixed. I thought 32pts was awfully generous.  I'm still in pathfinder mode. 

Also, you guys are welcome to make suggestions about the mechanics of my character.  I appreciate the team's perspective when making a support character and for my own edification.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:09:49 AM by dman »

sirpercival

• View Profile
So we have a Marshal, an Astronomer, a Commander, a Naturalist, and whatever I pick correct?
Indeedlydoo.

Garryl

• View Profile
Just a reminder, but as mentioned in the first post, we're also using healing surges and the Demolition and Endurance skills.

Of the classes everyone seems to be going with, Endurance is a class skill for the Marshal, Commander, and Naturalist, and the Commander's cohort will get a bonus to it with Wild Focus. I don't think anyone's playing a class that would get Demolition.

For healing surges, you can have a maximum number of healing surges equal to your Con bonus + your base Fort save. You can spend one as a standard action to take a second wind, healing you for 1/4 your max hp (rounded up) or Con bonus + character level, whichever is better.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:40:42 AM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

sirpercival

• View Profile
OK so, looking over the Astronomer skills and the Refractor melds, the Soul Refractor is basically the worst skill monkey in all of Incarnum. It's much, much closer to a wizard in skillfulness than anything else.

The build I'm looking at for the Soul Refractor has 3 spells:
- Once per encounter, +2 AC vs ranged attacks as an emanation
- Once per encounter, give someone an immediate-action 10-ft teleport which has to be used within 1 round
- Unlimited per encounter, 1-round blindness (1-round dazzle on a successful Fort save) at close range

In combat I'd mostly be a crossbow hound, since I have a soulmeld that lets me reload for free + do cold damage instead of normal damage + have +1 ammo. Unless I go for defensive stuff like bonus hp or a deflection bonus.

So, given all that, do we need more melee, minions, & skills, in which case I should switch to Scaleshaper? Or does this build look good so far and I should keep rolling with Soul Refractor?

I'll do a prelim Scaleshape build for comparison.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Screw it, I know what I want to do.

Garryl, I'm sorry but I want to play a PoC character.  Will you be able to get it ported over?

Garryl

• View Profile
Sure. The base classes are up already, so I'll get to porting the modules and feats as soon as I can. Endurance is a class skill for dreadnoughts and energy warriors. Demolition is a class skill for dreadnoughts.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium