Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (or Red Hand of Doom)  (Read 22004 times)

Garryl

• View Profile
FYI, with the old boards restored-ish, I'm going to keep the organization of this PbP game over here for the time being. Once everything's settled with the transition I'll start getting everything transferred and updated, but I'm not doing nothing while things are still in flux.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium
1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Couple semi-related things:

#1: Wanted to get your opinion on the Warboss (I'm assuming no/needs balancing).
#2: Would it be possible, regardless of class, to use Strongheart Halflings and reflavour them as Goblins for the Commander/Cohort?
#3: I assume I need to pay for cohort gear out of WBL/starting cash?

Garryl

• View Profile
Couple semi-related things:

#1: Wanted to get your opinion on the Warboss (I'm assuming no/needs balancing).

I don't even know how to evaluate that class.

#2: Would it be possible, regardless of class, to use Strongheart Halflings and reflavour them as Goblins for the Commander/Cohort?

Sure... You're trying to make a Warhammer-esque Waagh, aren't you?

Just be warned that goblins don't have the best of reputations in the Valley of Obelisks. There aren't any major goblin communities in the valley, and most of the goblins that wander in do so as bandits or river pirates.

#3: I assume I need to pay for cohort gear out of WBL/starting cash?

I think we established that earlier, but to confirm, yes, your commander cohort joins with nothing of value and must be equipped from your funds.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium
1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
1: Figured that would be your response. That one is a Warhammer class.
2: Not really with the commander, but I was thinking of the fun RPing a pair of goblins could bring.
3: Thought so, wanted to confirm.

Nanshork

• View Profile
You don't want me to have flaws.  Got it.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
He did say no flaws back on page 1, but I think people missed that a little.

Nanshork

• View Profile
He did say no flaws back on page 1, but I think people missed that a little.

I didn't miss it, I made my justification as requested. 

His response was that I should either use friendly fire attacks or hope that enemy touch AC is low enough that my -4 to hit won't matter, or that I should spend half of my character's soulmeld equivalent with healing always on.

Which means that I'm going to invest in PBS and Precise Shot (playing a human) and hope that someone else picks healing because I need reliable combat abilities. 

Edit: Turrents don't have precise shot so they won't cut it, and rezbits appeal to me about as much as familiars (which is not really at all).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:35:27 PM by Nanshork »

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
I can grab the Radiant Ideal, but it won't give me healing until level 5... Once I get that, though, I can be a healbot. But healing surges should make it much less important to get healing.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've got the Vigor aura. We'll be okay-ish out of combat.

Tr'Bon Karlat, 1st level Commander

Human
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (10 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Armour)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: +0 Guisarme (2d4) or +2 Light Crossbow (1d8)
Full Attack: +0 Guisarme (2d4) or +2 Light Crossbow (1d8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft. (Guisarme)
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Commander Aura, Warden, Aid Them All
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff 8 (+4 Cha, +4 Skills), Diplomacy 10 (+4 Cha, +4 Skills, +2 Bluff), Intimidate 10 (+4 Cha, +4 Skills, +2 Bluff), Sense Motive 4 (+4 Skills)
Feats: Aptitude Focus (Combat), Commander's Will
Flaws: None
Traits: None
Environment: Campaign
Organization: The Party
Treasure: 125gp
Armor (20gp): 2 leather (20gp).
Weapons (91gp): 2 guisarmes (18gp), 2 light crossbows (70gp), bolts x30 (3gp)
14gp spare
Alignment: LN
Advancement: Commander

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 12:16:01 PM by Stratovarius »

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Since I figured I'd at least stat it up. My initial impression is fairly even at 1st level, at least. Cwalu/Cohort is definitely stronger than the horde, and the AoO spam would probably be enough to win for the commander.

(click to show/hide)

Nanshork

• View Profile
Vigor aura is roughly equivalent to my healing so that works out.

sirpercival

• View Profile
Nans, Strat, any opinion on invisibility vs encyclopedia?

dman

• View Profile
I'll be able to give +5 to stat checks and I have 1 rank in each of the monster skills except Dungeoneering.

I was thinking of taking the auto damage aura instead of healing or the +1 to attacks.

I think invisible has the edge at first level.

sirpercival

• View Profile
I'll be able to give +5 to stat checks and I have 1 rank in each of the monster skills except Dungeoneering.

I was thinking of taking the auto damage aura instead of healing or the +1 to attacks.

I think invisible has the edge at first level.

Okie dokes, I'll go with T'ien Lung then. And I can move a rank into Dungeoneering no problem.

EDIT: build updated.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:29:06 AM by sirpercival »

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nans, Strat, any opinion on invisibility vs encyclopedia?

Other than being the party face, my guy has no skills at all. So as long as someone's covering it, it's okay. There should be fairly limited counters to invis at 1st level though, regardless of module we're playing.

dman

• View Profile
I built to be a face too, Strat, so if you want to invest in something else you can.

Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't really have a choice as a Commander - heavy Cha emphasis and a limited skill set pretty much pushes me in that direction.

sirpercival

• View Profile
Hahaha same for mine! Yay for a party full of faces :D

Of course, my "face" will often be dragon-shaped.

Nanshork

• View Profile
No face skills for me, got it!

dman

• View Profile
Garryl, thanks for elaborating on the the campaign. You nailed pretty much everything I was wondering about.

My question on alignment was wondering how rigidly we followed it, how plastic it is, will we know if we're shifting.  I was thinking of a missionary char concept that encourages the common folk and seeks to subvert the lords of evil to the cause of good. Do angels fall? Do demons repent?

I know our campaign may not go that far and they're not the best classes, but I always thought it would be fun to play something like an Evangelist or Emissary of Barachiel.

My question on Diplomacy was more along the lines of, can I make the Balor Helpful with a sufficiently high check?

I've been focusing on maximizing Social skills and was just wondering if it's worth it.

Killing enemies is expedient. Sparing them and giving them a chance at redemption or at least at giving up a life of preying on others in that particular area is more noble, but could qualify as "stupid good" depending on how realistic we play. Could there be some kind of option for non-lethal victory that isn't horrifically burdensome in terms of dealing with captives and only occasionally results in us having to fight the same dudes again (which can make for some fun story options)?

Team, are there certain themes that make you uncomfortable?  I tend to prefer the standard D&D module rated R violence, PG-13 sexuality. I know people can be sensitive about  religious/irreligious themes. Would playing an aasimar evangelisty true believer rub people the wrong way - this is of course assuming that he's got some tact? I thought it would be cool to try with the whole Luminous Order and Ebon Cabal thing.

One thing I'm sensitive about is violence toward children.  Please no graphic battles where we have to fight possessed kids or something.

I don't mean to make a big deal out of this stuff. It's just more fun for everyone if we have some kind understanding. Most of the time it's a non issue. It's just that I have played a lot of different games with a lot of different people...and sometimes it's weird...when with a little more communication it could be fun.