Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (or Red Hand of Doom)  (Read 22003 times)

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Garryl, are you allowing Ideal Templates?

Edit: Also, questions for you on EWA.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Garryl ported over the Modules, so I've picked a class.

I'm going to be a Cyberneticist.  Think of me as kind of like an Incarnate.  I can do skillmonkey, healbot-ish, ranged support, random junk.

Garryl

• View Profile

Anything in particular you're concerned about? I'll admit, they feel a little off to me, but nothing worth banning over.

Garryl ported over the Modules, so I've picked a class.

I'm going to be a Cyberneticist.  Think of me as kind of like an Incarnate.  I can do skillmonkey, healbot-ish, ranged support, random junk.

I just finished posting the feats and races, too. Let me know if there's anything else you think you might need for your character.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium
1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime

sirpercival

• View Profile

Anything in particular you're concerned about? I'll admit, they feel a little off to me, but nothing worth banning over.

Not at all, just wanted to make sure. I was thinking of using Passion's Flame and/or Xorvintaal in the Scaleshaper build.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Things I might need from PoC:
- The creatures (for turrets and rezbits)
- ACFs/Variants (if they were finished)
- Expanded Skills possibly
- Maybe the PrCs that are cyberneticist based?

Would phazon be a bad idea?  I don't remember much besides it can hurt me.

I'll assume I can't afford any of the gear for a long time.

Garryl

• View Profile
I never wound up making any ACFs, but I'll see about posting the rest tonight.

The items include some mundane stuff, although it's all pretty expensive for 1st level. Most of it's 50 gp and up, although there are a few cheaper things.

I'll post the Metroid stuff and you can decide for yourself if Phazon is a bad idea.
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
Hooray!

Garryl

• View Profile
PoC PrCs and skills are up, Nanshork. It might be a little while before I get to the end, so here are the module-summonable creature stats so you can at least evaluate them.
(click to show/hide)
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
I appreciate the effort!   ;D

Nanshork

• View Profile
Besides healing and trapfinding (which I can't do until level 2 anyway so if we need that tell mister Commander), are there any other things that we are missing as a group?

I don't even understand what the Astronomer does and the Naturalist seems to be nature-y warlock type unless I'm missing something (which is probable).

Edit: Urgh, I forgot that precise shot is the second feat down the chain.  I need two flaws.  :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:10:10 AM by Nanshork »

Garryl

• View Profile
I think Sirpercival is going for scaleshaper now instead of astronomer. Scaleshaper is basically all about turning into a dragon and summoning a dragon and dragon stuff.

Naturalist as druid-based warlock is the same impression I got. Most of the invocations are straight druid spells. The topiaries and natural essences are basically warlock blast shapes and blast essences.

Don't worry too much about trapfinding. There aren't many traps in this module. If I remember correctly, there's only one or two traps before you'll hit 2nd level anyways.

To quote the original post: "No flaws. If you really need them for your build, we can renegotiate." Fill me in on why you really need flaws for your build. Maybe we can work something out. Most of the time I've seen flaws get used, they're just a cheap way to give a character a pair of bonus feats for moar powarz! That's basically what I'm trying to avoid.
Edit: At the same time, I recognize that they can be really useful for filling out a concept that just can't be done with the limited feats at 1st level.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 02:08:59 AM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

dman

• View Profile
I just lost a long post on the nature of the campaign. To summarize...

Specific D&D world?
Realism vs Fantasy? Survival, food, water, encumbrance...
Ark vs WoW?
Animal handling and pets?
Diplomacy? and demons?
Subduing vs killing?
Endurance untrained?
.5 rank skills trained?
Character death?
Down time?
Other relevant issues?

Thanks.

dman

• View Profile
Alignment?

Garryl

• View Profile
I just lost a long post on the nature of the campaign. To summarize...

Specific D&D world?
Realism vs Fantasy? Survival, food, water, encumbrance...
Ark vs WoW?
Animal handling and pets?
Diplomacy? and demons?
Subduing vs killing?
Endurance untrained?
.5 rank skills trained?
Character death?
Down time?
Other relevant issues?

Thanks.

Alignment?

Nonspecific, generic fantasy world with elements of sci-fi lurking around the corners. I can pull out the (very rough) notes I have on an actual campaign setting like that if you want.

Leaning strongly towards fantasy. I've done the whole planning out every last cp of gear and doing all the weight balancing and all of that. It's REALLY tedious. Unless there's something really out of the ordinary going on (eg: you guys get teleported to some desert in the middle of nowhere), I'm just going to assume you're prepared with anything you might reasonably expect an adventuring party to need, or want, or decide to have after listening to some other adventuring party's horror story.

Not familiar with Ark. I haven't played WoW since WotLK.

Handling an animal is DC 10-12 as a move action. Animal companions, as written, give bonuses to that and let you do it as a free action, so you shouldn't even have to roll most of the time.

Care to elaborate about diplomacy and demons? They're not all out to get you and your immortal soul in a mindless, DOOM-like bloodlust, if that's what you're asking.

If you want to take prisoners, you can. It's a medieval fantasy world, so it's not really expected unless you're dealing with someone important that you'd want to keep alive for political reasons or whatever.

Endurance has several uses that can be used untrained. Only sleeping in armor, surviving below -10 hp, and I think using Endurance checks instead of Fort saves vs. environmental stuff require training.

Half rank training: "Trained Only: If this notation is included in the skill name line, you must have at least 1 rank in the skill to use it. If it is omitted, the skill can be used untrained (with a rank of 0). If any special notes apply to trained or untrained use, they are covered in the Untrained section (see below)." So, no, you need 1 full rank.

Please try not to die. Rolling up a new character and integrating them into the party is always a little awkward. But if you do die, just roll up a new character and we'll find a way to awkwardly integrate you into the party.

Down time is how you take it. This module isn't like Red Hand of Doom where there are a lot of urgent things going on. That said, if you poke your nose into a dungeon, start killing things, then zip away for a week half way through, expect a response to have been organized.

Alignment is as follows: No lawful stupid, chaotic stupid, stupid evil, stupid good, or true stupid. But more seriously, it's a team game, so as long as you can be a team player it should be fine, even if you're chaotic evil.

Did I miss anything?
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

Nanshork

• View Profile
I think Sirpercival is going for scaleshaper now instead of astronomer. Scaleshaper is basically all about turning into a dragon and summoning a dragon and dragon stuff.

Naturalist as druid-based warlock is the same impression I got. Most of the invocations are straight druid spells. The topiaries and natural essences are basically warlock blast shapes and blast essences.

Don't worry too much about trapfinding. There aren't many traps in this module. If I remember correctly, there's only one or two traps before you'll hit 2nd level anyways.

To quote the original post: "No flaws. If you really need them for your build, we can renegotiate." Fill me in on why you really need flaws for your build. Maybe we can work something out. Most of the time I've seen flaws get used, they're just a cheap way to give a character a pair of bonus feats for moar powarz! That's basically what I'm trying to avoid.
Edit: At the same time, I recognize that they can be really useful for filling out a concept that just can't be done with the limited feats at 1st level.

Sounds like the only mandatory module for me is a healing one.

I want Precise Shot which requires Point Blank Shot.  All of the combat modules for the Cyberneticist are ranged and that -4 is brutal.

Then I want Activate Module for Restoration Matrix if I'm the only healing we've got.  Then if I'm a race with a bonus feat I'll take Extra Energy.

sirpercival

• View Profile
OK all, I'm nearing completion of my Scaleshaper build (after some time spent clarifying and cleaning up the Ideals page). I've picked two of my three Ideals, but for the last one I'm having trouble deciding. Here's what I have so far (I get to pick one of these each day):
  • Fang gives me better and more attacks, all of which deal Con damage; +3 to Bluff and Use Rope; DR 3/bludgeoning; and sound mimicking at 5th level.
  • Mercury gives me color spray; +3 to Bluff and Tumble; fire damage on my claw attacks and 1d6 fire breath weapon (they count as [Light] effects so might work to dispel darkness; fire resistance 3; and immunity to blindness and dazzling at 5th level.

Then I have the following two options for the third slot:
  • Emerald would give me Bardic Knowledge; +3 to all Knowledge skills; sonic damage on my claw attacks and 1d6 sonic breath weapon; sonic resistance 3; and sculpt sound at 5th level.
  • T'ien Lung would give me swift invisibility; +3 to Listen and Spot; fire damage on my claw attacks and 1d6 fire breath weapon; fire resistance 3; and detect thoughts at 5th level.

All of these give more stuff at higher levels, but that's not relevant right now, if it will be at all.

So... thoughts? Will it be better for us to have an encyclopedia (some of the time), or short-duration invisibility (some of the time)?

FAUX EDIT: I also will get another Ideal at 2nd level, so I could theoretically pick up the last one, or something else, very soon. I figured to revisit once I had a better sense of the party dynamic and abilities.

EDIT (foreals this time): Garryl, are you ok w/ pre-game crafting?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:55:48 AM by sirpercival »

Garryl

• View Profile

Sounds like the only mandatory module for me is a healing one.

Healing should be easier than in most games thanks to healing surges. I think everyone except Sirpercival is actually playing a class with a good Fort save, so everyone will have a bit of a personal Cure Light Wounds equivalent.

There's a decent chance that either dman or Stratovarius will have at least some limited healing from an aura. Usually that's fast healing up to half health sort of thing (which is as good as Restoration Matrix anyways), but dman was mentioning an aura that's a straight up 2 hp healed each time you hit.

I want Precise Shot which requires Point Blank Shot.  All of the combat modules for the Cyberneticist are ranged and that -4 is brutal.

You could go with melee touch attacks via Fire Field, a line AoE with Lightning Rod, a point blank AoE with Resonance Detonator, or a ranged AoE/splash weapon with Missile Launcher (spaces, rather than creatures, are only AC 5, and a miss just randomizes the AoE's center by 5 feet). The rays (Corrosion Inducement and Cryo Core) might not be as bad since you're targeting touch AC. Or you could just make an autoturret or rezbit do the fighting for you.

Edit: There's also the Phazon necromancy route with Phazon Animation.

Then I want Activate Module for Restoration Matrix if I'm the only healing we've got.  Then if I'm a race with a bonus feat I'll take Extra Energy.

Restoration Matrix is on the cyberneticist module list. You could just activate it directly. Ditto for Energy Transfer, the other healing module.

EDIT (foreals this time): Garryl, are you ok w/ pre-game crafting?

Edit, too.

Depends. If it's using your feats/resources/class features to make magic items, then sure. If it's just using the Craft skill to triple your starting gold (or abuse D&D economics to start with infinite money), it's a little iffier. Not that investing in Craft (or Profession, for that matter) should be meaningless, either, though. What are you thinking of?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:20:46 PM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

sirpercival

• View Profile
Mostly I was just looking to get masterwork studded leather at the start, so I can have +1 AC and not suffer an ACP. I'm not going to spend a lot on Craft skills (I'm a skillmonkey, I need them skill points), but I was thinking of taking 3 ranks in Armorsmithing. If everyone knows each other beforehand, I'm happy to slightly upgrade everyone else's armor pre-game if Garryl is ok with it.

If you'd rather I didn't, then I'm happy to either just roll w/ leather or suck up the -1 ACP, and use the skill points elsewhere.

Garryl

• View Profile
Mostly I was just looking to get masterwork studded leather at the start, so I can have +1 AC and not suffer an ACP. I'm not going to spend a lot on Craft skills (I'm a skillmonkey, I need them skill points), but I was thinking of taking 3 ranks in Armorsmithing. If everyone knows each other beforehand, I'm happy to slightly upgrade everyone else's armor pre-game if Garryl is ok with it.

If you'd rather I didn't, then I'm happy to either just roll w/ leather or suck up the -1 ACP, and use the skill points elsewhere.

Crafting masterwork equipment is a DC 20 Craft check anyways. Do you have what it takes for a +10 modifier on your Craft (armorsmithing) skill, or some other way to hit the DC with some alternative to taking 10?
A Guide to Free D&D
Handbooks Index
My Homebrew Compendium

sirpercival

• View Profile

Crafting masterwork equipment is a DC 20 Craft check anyways. Do you have what it takes for a +10 modifier on your Craft (armorsmithing) skill, or some other way to hit the DC with some alternative to taking 10?
Derrrrp I can read. Nvm to all! Lol.

SUPER-EDIT: Here's the current state of mah build. I included links/sources to some stuff. Nothing too insane. Let me know what you guys think (and also, whether I should take Emerald or T'ien Lung).

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:28:41 AM by sirpercival »