Author Topic: HMA: Discussion thread  (Read 1626 times)

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
HMA: Discussion thread
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
This is the discussion thread for Heron-Marked: The Art of Bladecraft! Feel free to talk about your hopes, dreams, fears, celebrations, comments, suggestions, pet peeves, and everything else related to artfully hitting things with other things.

Nanshork

• View Profile
Re: HMA: Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Bladecraft Mechanics

A lot of the language that I remember not being happy with has been cleared up, I approve.

My only thing for this chapter is that the Special Combat Rules should be on your priority list.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
Skills & Feats

Everything looks good here.

Blade Techniques

Oh my god you made a chart.  This thing is glorious!  I'm just going to assume the thing is accurate, I don't have time for the cross-referencing required right now.

Basic Blade Styles

Cloud
 - Low Wind Rising requires Stand but you can be prone.  I find this to be very amusing.
 - Rain in High Wind is missing the text on what it actually does.

Moderate Blade Styles

We're good here.

Advanced Blade Styles

Stone
 - The Boar Rushes Downhill actually sounds less powerful than The Boar Rushes Down the Mountain (a moderate blade technique).

Wind
 - Two Lovers is also missing the text about what it does.

Expert Blade Styles

Clay
 - The Mongoose Strikes the Serpent assumes you aren't already doing Bludgeoning damage.  It's a small thing, but I'd like it to say "(if applicable)" or something similar at the end of the damage type changing sentence.
 - Soft Rain at Sunset has the same comment as above.

Glass
 - Folding the Air is missing the text on what it does.
 - It looks like other techniques are just missing, 3 techniques feels like not enough.

Sun
 - The Creeper Climbs the Cliff should specify whether or not you can still threaten critical hits. That point feels vague since it is not an attack roll.

Bladecraft and Published Materials

ACFs
 - Blade Dancer grants a Bladecraft die.  Who's ranks is that based off of?

Heron-Marked Prestige Classes

Looks good.

Equipment & Extras

At first I was concerned about Power Wrought, but then I realized it's fine.

sirpercival

• you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »
UGH. Some of the styles didn't copy-paste correctly, and I didn't notice! BLARUHWRIUWHGRIF... Take another look at Cloud, Wind, and Glass styles, I re-ported them and they should work correctly now.

Boar Rushes Downhill may or may not do less raw damage than Boar Rushes Down the Mountain, depending on how your build is set up; however, the Stunned effect is very good, and you also get two attacks' worth of attacks.

Added "(if applicable)" to the bludgeoning damage thing on the two Clay techniques. Clarified how crits work with Creeper Climbs the Cliff. Clarified Blade Dancer.

SWEEET.

Nanshork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
UGH. Some of the styles didn't copy-paste correctly, and I didn't notice! BLARUHWRIUWHGRIF... Take another look at Cloud, Wind, and Glass styles, I re-ported them and they should work correctly now.

There's the technique I helped write about severing limbs!  I knew it was missing.

Boar Rushes Downhill may or may not do less raw damage than Boar Rushes Down the Mountain, depending on how your build is set up; however, the Stunned effect is very good, and you also get two attacks' worth of attacks.

It's not about power.  The lower level technique has a more powerful sounding name.  Higher level techniques should get the more powerful sounding names.  :P

Added "(if applicable)" to the bludgeoning damage thing on the two Clay techniques. Clarified how crits work with Creeper Climbs the Cliff. Clarified Blade Dancer.

SWEEET.

Looks good!  You still need to add Special Combat Rules to your priority list though. :P